Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Spatial - Multi-Ring Trade Areas

penguinocto
5 - Atom

Hi All,

I'm recently still learning Spatial and am getting some datasets for practices. 

Let's say I have a central point, which has multi-ring trade areas of 2, 4, and 10 miles. How can I differentiate each segment of trade 'ring'? e.g. If I want to look at each ring separately? 

For example, a restaurant trying to figure out the best delivery range (2-4, 4-10, or 0-2) depending on how many customers within each ring of trade areas?

Thank you very much for your help! 

3 REPLIES 3
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Each trade area will actually have a separate line for each. From there, you could do a spatial match on customers.

In the example attached, I used 1 store location and created both rings. It resulted in 2 rows of data, one for each ring.

echuong1_0-1606184736617.png

penguinocto
5 - Atom

Thank you for your reply! 

I somehow found a solution which is to use a filter tool to brute force separate each ring.. so my workflow looks like this: 

penguinocto_0-1606184977586.png

The trade area tool has three rings, and I used three filters to separate each ring and spatial match on each one. Somehow it has duplicates so I used unique to pick out the unique location. But this doesn't look elegant at all... Any suggestions? 

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@penguinocto 
Another thinking is not to use Trade Area.

Append the restaurant to the customer locations, then calculate every combination distance, then filter by range (2-4, 4-10, or 0-2).

Labels