Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Spatial Grouping/Clustering

dtokarz312
8 - Asteroid

Does anyone have any ideas on how to create groups or clusters for spatial points? I have about 1,200 points positioned globally and I need to group the ones that close to each other. The only information in the table is a unique ID and lat/lon coordinates. 

I was thinking of creating 20 or 30 mile voronoi rings then combining the spatial trade area to create a single group. Then use Find Nearest to assign points that are within 2 or 3 miles of a trade area. That should help with the stranglers. Problem is in areas where the sites are really dense. Ex NYC. The group can get really large almost cover half the Northeast. 

The whole process needs be automated, as new points are added daily. Any ideas? 

Best, 

Derek 

28 REPLIES 28
sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

Hi,

Please find below the error which i am getting after running this.  

sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

Please find attached the final out put which we looking for. Also the background should be the US map and the cluster are on that map showing where the most points are together. 

StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

I've adjusted the workflow to give you the elements that you need.  As far as creating the final report, that's a little off topic for this thread.  Also, the dataset is yours, so you'll need to make the necessary adjustments to tell the story your data is giving you.

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl
Principal Customer Support Engineer

sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

Thank you so much :)  It really helped. As i am new to Alteryx making my hands dirty with the data. One last thing can you please tell me what new changes you have made i could see that earlier i could see only the SpatialObj Built but now i can see BR polygon, Centroid,Distance miles and Centroid buffer.. any reason for creating this? Thanks,

StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

From the diagram that you sent it looks like you need a generic object to describe the size of the cluster (your centroids and rings).  The BR Polygon (bounding rectangle) gets the rough dimensions of the cluster, the centroid is the geographic center of the cluster. The distance tool finds the distance from the centroid to the nearest edge of the BR Polygon.  This allows you to create the circle by setting the buffer equal to that distance.  I noticed that the example diagram had points outside the circle still associated with the cluster which is why I'm ok with that approach, if you needed a different radius, you'll need to find another way to get that distance (maybe bounding rectangle as points).  These together along with the summarize help you generate the centroid and circle of the diagram as well as identify which cluster has the most points.  Let me know if you have any more questions.

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl
Principal Customer Support Engineer

sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

Thank you so much for the brilliant explanation. This really worked well. Can you please guide me how to practice and become SME on the geo-spatial analytics. any books or references would be really good for me to start with.  We have a meeting next wednesday , so i think they are looking for defining the radius / km.. i will come back to you on this :) thanks again,

RobsonShimada
5 - Atom

Hello, I saw your topic and I actually have a similar problem: clustering real-state on a designated area but the clusters should have a maximum radius in kilometers. You found a solution for this problem?    

ASmith1111
5 - Atom

Thanks Stephen! 

barryp
5 - Atom

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your helpful demonstration. Do you know if it would be possible to weigh the X,Y coordinates based on population size, demand, etc.? 

If so, how would one go about doing this?

Thanks,
Barry

Labels