community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Spatial Geometry Output to Hyper vs SHP Differences in Tableau

Bolide

Hi There,

When outputting spatial geometry directly to a Tableau Hyper file from Alteryx 2019.1.6 and rendering this in Tableau the maps do not automatically zoom to the area where the marks are. When outputting these same data from Alteryx to a shapefile, then rendering this in Tableau leads to the expected results. Using Tableau to extract from this shapefile into a Hyper file also leads to the correct results. 

Any thoughts if this is expected or if this is a defect?

Sample Tableau workbook attached. 

Thank you,
Ryan

Alteryx Partner

I don't know exactly what's going wrong, but you might get more help posting in Tableau Community forums.

I changed your Hyper file map to a circle and it worked ... 

2019-05-24 07_18_45-Reply to Message - Alteryx Community.png

so technically I'm thinking there's a difference between the 2 polygons.

Bolide

Thanks of the reply @cmcclellan 

While a non-polygon mark type resolves the issue, this is not too helpful as typically you will want to render polygon shape when working with trade areas or other geographic boundaries (in this example a circle was used for simplicity and to not share proprietary data). When forcing Tableau to render any other mark type the software simply places the mark on centroid of the spatial object and scaling becomes relative.

The issue seems to only be impacting Hyper files created by Alteryx leading me to believe this is an Alteryx specific issue. 

The workflow that created the shapefile and Hyper file is seen below: 

WF.png

I have tested this with other spatial formats Alteryx can output and it seems isolated to Alteryx created Hyper files. 

Thanks,

Ryan

Asteroid

H Ryan,

This has been an issue in the Alteryx .hyper output since it was introduced in Alteryx v2018.1 through at least v2019.1 (I haven't tested on v2019.2 yet). Last year I got some support from Tableau on this, what they found was that the default zoom is set to the whole planet. Apparently this was an issue coming from an earlier release of the Tableau extract API that was fixed in early calendar 2018 but Alteryx isn't using the latest version of Tableau's extract API.

Our present workaround is to output separate files for the data and spatial object(s) e.g. a .hyper file with the data and a .shp file for each spatial object and then join them in Tableau.

Jonathan

Bolide

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for sharing that background info! 

The workaround with exporting multiple files and doing the join in Tableau is similar to what we have been doing as well. Unfortunately, this can get messy when automating or when publishing the data directly to Tableau Server.

Hi @SteveA@MargaritaW

Can either of you provide any insight on when we may be able to expect a fix in the product? Please let me know if you need any more info or examples. 

Best regards,

Ryan

Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello @rdoptis 

I'm checking into it. I'll circle back shortly. 

Margarita Wilshire
Manager, Customer Support Engineering
Asteroid

Hi @MargaritaW ,

Thanks for looking into this, and @rdoptis thanks for asking! 

FYI I've validated that I'm still seeing the same behavior in v2019.2. I did some more digging into my notes, I'd submitted this issue to support back in August 2018 with reference 00DE0JJZ4 and one bit that came out of that was finding out that the issue doesn't occur for .tde outputs, only .hyper. Also the "Alteryx isn't using the latest version of the extract API" statement I made was a guess based the behavior, not a fully verified statement. 

Jonathan

Alteryx
Alteryx

Thanks @jdrummey for the additional information, super helpful.

@MattH@JakeS  - FYI 

Margarita Wilshire
Bolide

Hi @MargaritaW

Where you able to uncover any more information about this?

Best regards,

Ryan

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello @rdoptis !

Sorry for taking long to get back to you. Last time I checked, our development team was swarming on a fix. I'm following-up now for details.

@JakeS  @MattH 

Margarita Wilshire
Labels