Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Source Error

AJ-CH
8 - Asteroid

Hello Experts, 
I am getting the following error while creating an IN-DB Workflow. Having two inputs and doing one on one inner join. The error is "Join In-DB (37): The left and right side must have the same In-Db connection."

Both the inputs are from different table son different servers. How can I get this fixed or is there any workaround without involving the server team for changes?

Any help/suggestions will greatly be appreciated.

AJ

2 REPLIES 2
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

When performing an IN-DB function that involves combining datasets together, as with the IN-DB Join, your two data streams must come from the same database as the way alteryx is functioning is it is building the SQL script to send to the DB to perform the tasks. If you have two databases it simply cannot perform this task as your database cannot pull in from another separate DB.

That's the logic behind the error.

Your workaround would be to use the 'data stream in' tools to bring your tables in memory and then use the standard join tool.

You could then stream your data back in-db immediately after the join if you wished.

Ben

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@AJ-CH,

Adding to @BenMoss's comment:

I would take the Join Key data from the smaller set of data and STREAM that OUT and then STREAM it IN to the DB with the larger set of data.  If both sets of data are relatively small (say millions of records), you can stream them both out to your in-memory desktop.  It's an ART.

Example:  Summarize TRANSACTIONS from one database and use that data to join with your customer data in another DB.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Labels