Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Sorting reoccurring data by month

Tmagdich
5 - Atom

Hi all,

I'm a bit new to Alteryx, so my understanding of the tools available through the program is a bit lacking.  I have a master excel document with monthly employee headcount data, as well as accompanying information. A basic example for one month of data would look a bit like this:

Employee NameEmployee IDDepartmentSupervisorClassContinued Employment?
John Smithjsmith1PDSupervisor 1Base1
Jane Doejdoe3DBSupervisor 1Non-base1
Bob Robertbrober5PDSupervisor 2Base0

The excel file contains something resembling this table over the course of a full year, repeating each of these columns for every new month.  I am attempting to use Alteryx to clean this data up a bit to later be used with Qlikview.  Currently, I am having trouble with understanding how to differentiate the data through Alteryx in order to keep each month separate from one anther, but still related in some sense.  

I apologize if this question is a bit dumb, or unclear.  Alteryx is very new to mean, and I just have the basics down.  I'd be happy to clarify any questions, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
john_miller9
11 - Bolide

@Tmagdich 

This is a great use-case for Alteryx.  Is your monthly data in different worksheets within the Excel workbook?  Or are the monthly tables all on the same worksheet?  Or is it one big table with all months having the same columns?

This will determine the best path to solving.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Tmagdich 

A expanded sample would help a lot in this case.  Specifically, a couple of months of data along with the field that help differentiate between months.  Is there a month column?  Does the monthly data come from a separate file per month?

Dan 

Tmagdich
5 - Atom

@john_miller9

It's all within one one sheet.  All columns are repeated for each month, as some fields can change over time (supervisors, departments, employment status, etc).  I've attached a clearer example that better shows the data how I am viewing it.  It shows 3 of 12 months, and all personal information was of course removed, but it should give you a much better idea of my starting point.

Tmagdich
5 - Atom

@danilang

I've attached a sample that better shows what I'm working with.  It shows 3 of the total 12 months worth of columns, and all personal data was of course removed.  Other than that it should give you a clearer view of my starting point.

john_miller9
11 - Bolide

See the attached workflow which should accomplish what you're looking to do.  

Sorting Reocurring Data by Month.png

Labels