Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Sorting issue with Turkish codeset

Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

Hi Guys,

I came across a case where Alteryx somehow cannot sort turkish alphabet correctly... Any ideas how we can fix this?

Turkish Alphabet is sorted like this:

A, B, C, Ç (c-cedilla), D, E, F, G, Ğ (g-breve), H, I, İ (dotted I), J, K, L, M, N, O, Ö ( O with umlaut),P, R, S, Ş (S-cedilla) , T, U, Ü (U with umlaut), V, Y, Z

when we sort this in Alteryx Designer we got the following order;
A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, R, S, T, U, V, Y, Z, Ç, İ, Ö, Ş, Ü where all turkish specific letters (Ç, İ, Ö, Ş, Ü) are sorted at the very end...  SAS had a similar problem but seems they fixed it fairly quickly... can we do that too...

A few screenshots below;

A.png

Input:

B.png

Order we got after sort;

C.png

6 REPLIES 6
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Try the attached.

Created a macro which replaces the accents with un accented letters

Sorts on that followed by the original. This should reproduce the character set.

That said will probably steal the idea of culture based sorting for my custom tool project :)

Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

The order has still a few minor things I added some missing characters but the order of i ı is wrong.

There has to be a more universal solution to that other than having a workflow...

SAS changed some internal coding not that hard to do...

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Agree this was just a quick and easy solution.Will take a look at the macro and solve remaining case.

Corrected macro attached as well handling the i cases

For a more general solution, I have attached a custom tool I wrote this morning. It uses the .net culture system to sort but it will need installing.

Code will be on github later today and in the full v0.4 release in a couple of weeks. Source code for the addin is at https://github.com/jdunkerley/AlteryxAddIns/blob/4676d5c4b6e3ebbe69bad93638d96124eedc0326/AlteryxAdd...

AndyC
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

There is a language option in the sort tool:-

turkish.png

Andy Cooper
Senior Solutions Engineer - EMEA
Alteryx
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Totally missed that option before :)

AndyC