Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Sorting Tool

anitamarie2020
8 - Asteroid

Hey All,

Just wondering if anyone would be able to assist me with a question I have - very New to Alteryx. 

I have a data set that I was to split by 'Fund' (Fund 1, Fund 2 etc) and then have the first 10 balances the largest Unrealized Gain/Loss and next 10 the smallest Unrealized Gain/Loss balance. However keep the rest of the information below it also. 

I've tried using the sorting tool but I can't seem to keep the rest of the information,

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks,

Anita

5 REPLIES 5
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

@anitamarie2020 

Can you provide a sample of what your output should look like? 

Thanks

Dan 

DannyS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @anitamarie2020 ,

What exactly do you mean by keep the rest on the information below the top 10 largest and top 10 smallest? If you could give an example, that would be helpful.

I went ahead and started a workflow that gives you the Top 10 Largest an Top 10 Smallest Unrealized Gain/Loss grouped by Fund and sorted. Note sure if this is your desired output but I think with some clarity we can tweak it accordingly.

Let me know what you think.

Best,

Danny

anitamarie2020
8 - Asteroid

Hi All, 

Thank you so so much for the quick reply. It's much appreciated. Please see attached a sample of what the data should hopefully look like. I've done an example of 2 in the yellow tabs.

Thanks,

Anita

DannyS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@anitamarie2020 

This ended up being quite the challenge, but I think this workflow will get you to your desired solution! See attached workflow for solution.

Had to manipulate data quite a few times in order to preserve the sorting created for the Largest 10 and Smallest 10 subsets. The two green browse tools in the workflow have the outputs for the following:

1) full detailed set of your data sorted by Fund, Largest 10, smallest 10. 

2) grouped sets of data grouped by fund, sorted by largest 10, smallest 10. Also create a couple of row rules to highlight your data similar to your example

The last output features an example output to Excel, based on the document you shared above. This includes an output of your data grouped by fund exported to individual sheets within one Excel workbook. 

DannyS_0-1612817167846.png

Please let me know if this helps or if you have any questions!

Best,

Danny

anitamarie2020
8 - Asteroid

Hi Danny, 

Thank you so much for going to such effort to resolve the query I had. I downloaded and ran with different files and it works perfectly.

Thank you very much for your time and effort - much appreciated, 

Thanks,

Anita 

Labels