Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Solved:Block Until Done - Cannot access file because it is being used by another process

furlonla
8 - Asteroid

Hi, 

I have created a workflow with 5 outputs, I would like these to be contained within the one Excel book. When I run the workflow with smaller inputs it works, however when the size of the inputs increases, I receive the error message 'unable to open file for write.. the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.'

I think that I may need to use the Block Until Done tool, however I am unsure of where to put it, see screenshot of workflow below. 

If anyone can help me with this I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @furlonla,

Please check this article:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/How-to-write-to-multiple-tabs-separ...

it should give you an understanding how to use the tool. 

furlonla
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Thank you, I had actually looked at that earlier but still couldn't identify where in my workflow to use it, tried it at different places but still received the same error message,

Thanks

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

The block until tool is absolutely the right path but based on your workflow you might just need to put a couple of them so you don't have to re-engineer the whole thing. Here's where I would try putting them

1. After the unique tool 

2. After the Left Join

3. After the Input tool

joshuaburkhow_0-1601981297928.png

Hope this helps! If it does please mark solved so others can see it

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
furlonla
8 - Asteroid

This worked. Thanks a mill, will mark as solved!

Darren_D
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

recently i am having the same issue that i was hoping you might be able to help me with the correct positioning of my block until done tools. Currently i have them directly before each output file. It will run for 1 of the tabs but fail on the others.

I have attached a copy of the workflow.

Thanks

AJuliet101
7 - Meteor

@joshuaburkhow , I tried your suggestion but it seems like it is not working perfectly, seems I am close. Can you please help me placing the block until done at right place. I have placed it according to your suggestion.

Thanks for the support.

AJuliet101

haphan_tran
7 - Meteor
EdP
Alteryx
Alteryx

Additional suggestions can be found here:  

Ed Phelps
Sr CSE
Alteryx
Labels