Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Solved: Adding file name as column later in workflow

furlonla
8 - Asteroid

Hi, 

I would like to add a column with the file name from a particular input earlier in my workflow to this (see screenshot attached). Is this possible?

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @furlonla,

When using a data input tool you can choose the output file name as: File name.

Please see example attached. 

Emil_Kos_0-1603182055536.png

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@furlonla 
Just to add to the solution to @Emil_Kos , after getting file information, an Append Field tool can joint the information together.1020-furlonla.PNG

furlonla
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, I have done that. However, as I use the union tool and then summarise data. I have been unable to bring this column in as it won't summairse the data how I want it. See screenshot of what I am currently getting. Column fund code is the file name that I want. Let me know if this isn't clear.

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Qiu,

Good point. 

I wonder @furlonla why you wanted to add this later in the workflow? It isn't acceptable for you to add it at the beginning? 

EDIT: In this case, @Qiu appending solution should work for you @furlonla 

furlonla
8 - Asteroid

Hey @Emil_Kos @Qiu 

The append fields is creating duplicates, when I add it to the tool before the union tool. When I add it to the original input I'm receiving an error that there are more than 16, there are more than 16 records in the source. 

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @furlonla,

If you will use summarize to have only file name(1 column and 1 row) you will be able to use append fields without creating duplicates. 

furlonla
8 - Asteroid

Thanks a mill - that worked! I summarised by the file name then filtered out the null results and the used the append tool!

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@furlonla 
Select Allow All Appends can resolve that issue of Append Tool.
Appreciate you could mark it as acceped if it works for you.

aa.png

Labels