Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Solve for isNull across multiple columns at once

ewall
7 - Meteor

I have a number of columns with null values. Is there a simple way to replace all nulls in certain columns without doing a separate formula for each column? I do not want to create any new columns.

Example:

Column A / Column B / Column C - if any of the values in column A, B, or C are null, then replace with 0 in that original column of data

Thank you in advance!

9 REPLIES 9
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @ewall 

You could use a data cleanse tool or a multi-field formula tool. I would recommend the latter, it would look something like this:

The key thing is to uncheck the box for copy output fields. 

Luke_C_0-1621979668645.png

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @ewall,

I'd go for the data cleansing approach as it's the simplest method:

Before:

Jonathan-Sherman_0-1621979696762.png

After:

Jonathan-Sherman_1-1621979723887.png

I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed!

Kind regards,
Jonathan

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

One addendum to what @Luke_C  said - if the columns are numeric - datacleanse does everything for you when you check "replace with 0 (numeric fields) - but we all like the tools we like.

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Interesting @Luke_C, that we both went for the opposite approach!

Luke_C
17 - Castor

@Jonathan-Sherman @apathetichell Data cleanse is great too! Just have had some uses for the multi-field recently so there's some recency bias 😁

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Just to add a bit of background for @ewall...to decide on the approach i'd ask myself a question...

Do these columns (and will they always) contain only numeric values. If so then data cleansing works perfectly, if not then you'd need to go down the route of the multi-field formula tool as the data cleansing tool would convert null values to blanks in columns that have non-numeric data types

Kind regards,

Jonathan

ewall
7 - Meteor

@Jonathan-Sherman @Luke_C - thank you!! Both work, and the knowledge is much appreciated. I'll be using data cleansing for this one because they will always be numeric, but I have other flows where it looks like the multi-field formula tool will be the way to go.

Thank you both!!

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

No problem at all, glad it helps!

aghftec
5 - Atom

Hi all, what should I do if I want to Backward/Forward fill all the null values in multiple columns?

Labels