Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Small delay without using Wait-a-Minute macro?

Hiblet
10 - Fireball

I am writing a flow that writes to a single Excel file, but two different sheets on that same file.  Just sometimes, the machine will race ahead of the file lock, even when using BlockUntilDone, and I get the odd error where the OS reports the Excel file as locked open, even though it is imminently about to close. 

Is there a something I can give Alteryx to do on BlockUntilDone's 2-stream that will keep Alteryx busy for a few milliseconds, before attempting the second write on the 3-stream? 

I know about the (most excellent) Crew Macro for waiting, but does anyone have a suggestion for a quick and dirty solution that just distracts Alteryx for a maybe 300ms or so, to give the OS time to unlock the file?  In coding I would just do a for-loop to count to a million or something (but not that exactly, coz that's stupid).  At the moment I am writing a dummy file on stream 2, and that works, but I would welcome suggestions that make Alteryx do something, but does not burn CPU or RAM.

2 REPLIES 2
AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@Hiblet - I generally tend to use the Render Tool in cases like yours. Take a look at the attached sample solution. May not necessarily apply in your case, but still worth a look.

Hiblet
10 - Fireball

Thanks @AbhilashR, that is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of.  Something that takes a bit of processing, but does not ludicrously tie up the machine and waste resources.  Much obliged!

Labels