Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Skip first rows excel and read headers

Anastasiia
8 - Asteroid

Hello, 

I am using Salesforce data and when I export the data to excel it has first rows showing which filters were used and some basic information (who generated the report, time and name of the person). Data headers are only on 12 row and data is starting from row 13 of excel file. I would like to read this data and perform calculations in Alteryx, but I would like to skip first rows and read data starting from row 12. Alteryx flow should also recognize that header are on raw 12. Do you have any suggestions how to solve it?

example.PNG

10 REPLIES 10
Philip
12 - Quasar

Hi

You can use the Input Tool's settings to skip the first rows. Will this work for you?

InputToolSkipFirstRows.png

Anastasiia
8 - Asteroid

Hi, 

I think it looks good! However I have even more complex situation. Every month I add a new report to a folder 

2018-07 Orders.xlsx

2018-06 Orders.xlsx

2018-05 Orders.xlsx

Then with Alteryx I want to read those reports together. I build a flow for these. However the problem is now that I have a long list of these values and these filter rows are appearing in the middle of the list. I wonder how I could remove fist these filter rows and then combine the data? 

example 2.PNG

-Anastasiia 

Philip
12 - Quasar

There is the same option with the Dynamic Input tool. When you choose the Input Data Source Template, use the same Start Data Import on Line = 12.

Anastasiia
8 - Asteroid

example 3.PNG

I am using Query in Dynamic input. I am not sure if I can do the same as you suggested in this case 

Philip
12 - Quasar

Maybe I'm not understanding. If you're reading a series of Excel files, then you have the same options at the Input Tool for the Input Data Source Template. Did you mean you are directly querying the database?

InputToolSkipFirstRows.png

Anastasiia
8 - Asteroid

Hi, 

This what I was just looking for! Big thanks for this solution! 

Joe_McCoy
8 - Asteroid

Has this option changed in recent versions? I do not see that option in my input tools.

Thanks,

Joe

DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@Joe_McCoy,

That option is only available in xlsx and not xls. You can use the "first row contains data" to push your headers into the first row. Then use a combination of a Record ID tool and a Sample or Filter tool to remove the rows you don't want. Then use a Dynamic Rename tool to take the data from the first row to create headers.

DanM

MelisaCapri
7 - Meteor

I don't see that option when I am importing an Excel .xls file. Option 7 says "Do Not Show % Complete."

MelisaCapri_0-1595351820895.png

If I change the file type to .xlsx, I see it, but the data is not provided as an .xlsx file. Any suggestions? Other than manually converting it each time?

Labels