Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Single output file needed - filtering data from multiple files

Varshaa
7 - Meteor

I have multiple files with 2 sheets (say A and B). The goal is to create a single output file with 2 sheets containing filtered data from A and B of each file.

I was able to create a workflow with 2 macros (1 each for A and B) which read and filter data from directory. However, I am not able to create a single output file combining their outputs. To make matters worse, when I try to write an output .xls file for a single macro (say for A), I see it has results in multiple sheets - 1 sheet for each file the macro read. I want the output file to have single sheet for all A and single sheet for all B. Any help with this would be great!

Source I used for creating my macro to read input from different files having same sheet name: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/CS-Macro-Dev-Reading-in-Multiple-Fi...

Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11
DanielMS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Varshaa,

Please see the attached workflow which demonstrates what I believe you are trying to achieve.

Dan

ashissanpui
9 - Comet

Here are the steps to achieve that:

1. Input all data using wild character(*). Include fullpath while importing those files

2. Filter on fullpath which contains sheet name

3. Apply all other necessary filters and output it to a file during this time use BLOCK UNTIL DONE

Hopefully this will save you.

Varshaa
7 - Meteor

Thank you for your reply! I'm not quite sure how to go about "BLOCK UNTIL DONE" can you please elaborate?

So while playing around, I realized when I save output from within the macro directly, I get exactly what I need (1 sheet "A" in isolation). No duplicate records whatsoever.

However, I also have another macro (for 1 sheet "B" so this is configured differently).

As I need to combine outputs of both these macros, I created a workflow to use macro A and B. I had to provide input directory again and I suppose this somehow ended up creating duplicates for me.

Is there a better way of doing this?

MacroMacroWorkflowWorkflow

Varshaa
7 - Meteor

Sorry for responding late! Thanks very much for your reply and sharing your workflow.

The problem I see in using that solution in my case is that you have only 2 csv files as input. I have a set of several input files with the same 2 sheets and I'm basically looking to get an output file with the same 2 sheets but having aggregated and filtered data from all input files.

I have provided screenshots of my workflow in my other reply. Would be great if you could please take a look at it and help me.

Thank you!

Varshaa

ashissanpui
9 - Comet

You can do like this. 

ashissanpui_0-1576672434337.png

Also if you want to set order for your data.

ashissanpui_1-1576672461980.png

Varshaa
7 - Meteor

Thank you, @ashissanpui 

While the join did crate a few data sanity issues which I will figure out, I now see data intended for 2 sheets  A and B combined into a single sheet.  Any suggestion on how I can split these into 2 sheets of a single excel file? Or at least split them into 2 files? Thanks!

Data for sheet A and for sheet BData for sheet A and for sheet B

ashissanpui
9 - Comet

@Varshaa  after input app, use a formula app for new field source which will identify data stream source

ashissanpui_0-1576740868557.png

then at the output file select the following,

ashissanpui_1-1576740914798.png

this will create separate excel sheets. Try play with settings to get your desired output.

Ashis

Varshaa
7 - Meteor

@ashissanpui This was such an elegant tip! Thanks very much!!

It works great when there is no macro used. I will relook at my macro to check where the Source field is getting removed.

ashissanpui
9 - Comet

Thanks Varshaa,

You can check the option Keep the field in output. Source will get carry forwarded or else be dropped after processing if unchecked.

Labels