Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Single Column Records Matching

Bpan
6 - Meteoroid

In my dataset, I got a field with company names. I would like to check the similarity between those records within this single field. I thought Fuzzy Matching would be a good start. However, after using Fuzzy Matching, the population of records has reduced. Could anyone help me with how to solve this problem or give me any suggestions to check the similarity? 

Example:   Company Name

X1 Ltd

X2 Ltd

X1

X1 and X1 Ltd should be the same company name by checking the similarity

Thanks any helps in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
DataBlender
11 - Bolide

Hi @Bpan, you are likely losing records from the fuzzy match because there are no other records which meet the defined match threshold (default is 80%).

I have taken your sample 3 records and added an additional 4th (ZZZZZ Ltd). This fourth record gets dropped in the fuzzy match tool as it is not similar enough to any of the other 3 records. In order not to lose it, you can union it with your other results.

I would also recommend exploring the 'Make Group' tool which would work well with the fuzzy match tool in this scenario.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
You might consider removing the business type from the company name field. You could create a list of types and read that into a find and replace tool where you have an empty field defined for replacement. Once you trim the company field, you could look for exact matches again.
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Bpan
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks so much, that solved my issues.

Bpan
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for your suggestion.

Labels