Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Simulation Sampling tool binned data configuration

Exacto99
5 - Atom

Hello. I'm trying to build a workflow using the simulation sampling tool, as I believe the tool has similar capabilities to the stratified function in R. I have an insurance dataset where I would like to create a sample dataset of similar exposure using a stratified multi-dimensional sampling of the insurance rates that are currently in the dataset (and retain geographic relativities in risk distribution at county level as original dataset). I'm targeting a property premium of $25M of the current $34.5M (2.5 * 10e6).

In the workflow .jpg attached, I have added the tile tool to bin the property rates by grouping the state and counties targets. However, I'm unsure on how the simulation sampling tool selections work, I'm selecting a Monte Carlo sampling and then specifying  "binned data" (which is the binned property rates from using the tile tool). But I keep getting an error saying the "bins must have equal width". I've also tried to use the tile tool and create 5 equal bins for example, but I still get the same error message when selecting the "Tile_Num". Unsure what I'm doing wrong, its 100% user error on my part.

Any explanation on how the simulation sampling selections can be applied to my workflow would be much appreciated. The Alteryx documentation for the tool doesn't offer much explanation and after searching the Community boards I have not seen a similar question!

4 REPLIES 4
ImadZidan
12 - Quasar

Hello @Exacto99 ,

Yes you are right on what the tool resembles. I think the best way to know what the tool does technically is to open the macro. Did you try that. provided that you have the below feature enabled, you should be able to right click on the tool and select open macro.

Let us know if you need more help

Capture.PNG

Exacto99
5 - Atom

Thanks,

The simulation sampling macro does not offer any more insight into the binning than what is provided in the Alteryx documentation. 

The "Select ID field" and "Select Value Field" are my hang-ups. Does the ID field need to be unique? Does the Value field represent the data that I have already binned using the Tile tool? I've tried a few different options from my dataset workflow in both of these fields and I'm still getting the error message saying "bins must have equal width".

Exacto99_0-1602610361114.png

m_v
8 - Asteroid

Have you been able to figure this out? Running into the same issue

Exacto99
5 - Atom

Nope, was never able to understand how it should work....so I gave up. 😥

Labels