Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Showcase Trends of Charges per Month per Client

jackf
7 - Meteor

I've connected to a test database that has data associated with deliveries based on customer IDs, delivery date, and charge. I want to automate a way to pull from the database, group by the customer IDs, month of delivery, and sum the total charges for that customer ID by month. Then I want the output to show the total charge per month for each customer ID with the month name being the header of the column (ideally the most recent month at the front of the list of months)

I'm able to get to the second to last step, but can't seem to turn the data shown into the expected output (also shown). After placing the month's charge into their own specific columns, I'd then use the "Add Totals" tool to sum the total charge for each month (shown in the output below). The workflow would be ran once a month to showcase the total charges by each month as the year progresses, which is why the most recent month should be shown first

Input (after utilizing the Summarize tool) 

Alteryx_Input.PNG

Expected output:

Alteryx_Output_1.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @jackf ,

What you are looking for from what I can see from the attached pictures is a way to pivot your table. Since your data comes from a database, there is currently no In-DB tool as far as I am aware that can pivot the data (there is a Transpose In-DB tool in the Laboratory tool pallette, but you are looking for a Cross-Tab).

What I would suggest you do is use a Data Stream Out tool to bring you data in memory from the database, use a normal cross tab tool and then use a Data Stream In tool to put them back In-DB

AngelosPachis_1-1614623261831.png

Hopefully I've understood the requirements correctly and that helps in a way. 

Cheers,

Angelos

jackf
7 - Meteor

Hi @AngelosPachis 

Thank you for the insights, this will work for the trends! I was wanting to keep the data in-database and pivot in-db, as the number of records to process will grow rapidly, but this will definitely work . 

Labels