Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Show Field Map

rohit782192
11 - Bolide

Hello Champions,

In a Macro input we can see Show Field Map.

I am not getting proper explain what will happen if i select 

and

What will happen if i dont Select.

This looks very confusing.

2 REPLIES 2
DataNath
17 - Castor

@rohit782192 when you build a macro, people often use dummy data or field names that could change. Selecting field mapping allows you to map incoming fields to those that exist in the dummy data that you use in the macro workflow itself when you set it up. For example:

In the following Filter, I have set this macro up using a dataset with a [Division] field.

DataNath_0-1662645897462.png

However, someone else may come along with a similar dataset to use the macro, but the names may be different. In this example, lets just say they are using a field called [Region] instead of [Division]. In this instance, we would need to use field mapping to basically tell Alteryx: Anytime we have referenced the [Division] field, replace it with [Region] to facilitate the incoming dataset.

When you turn that on, you'll get prompted with a list of fields that are in the macro workflow. You can then select the incoming fields that should replace these from the dropdowns (you'll also notice the datatypes are displayed and restricted so that you can only map matching types):

DataNath_2-1662646088668.png

Hope this helps to clear up mapping a bit but if you need any further explanation please let us know!

Emmanuel_G
13 - Pulsar

Hi @rohit782192 ,

This is used to do field mapping.

If selected, it allows application users to select appropriate fields and put them where needed. This is very useful when you have field names different from those embedded in the macro.

If this is not selected, there will be no option to do so.

In this case, if the macro is for example a standard macro without modification, there will be no field matching to perform and depending on how you have configured your macro, sometimes even no action to perform.

Attached are two screenshots with the first showing when it's selected and the second when it's not.

Is it clearer to you now?

Emmanuel_G_0-1662646240137.png     

Emmanuel_G_1-1662646274646.png

Labels