Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Should I create App or Macro?

bertal34
8 - Asteroid

Need to create a reusable workflow which will be used by multiple people in my department.  This workflow must have the ability to incorporate into other workflows.  It will summarize sales results for a given timeframe.  The timeframe will vary user-to-user so it should have Start & End date input parameters.  My thought is to use the Date Interface tool for date inputs, however this only works when saved as an APP.  I need a repeatable workflow which can be used within another workflow, which screams "macro" to me.

Please let me know if you need more info.  Any advice or assistance is greatly appreciated!!!

8 REPLIES 8
OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

It sounds like you want a macro. The date interface tool works with macros as well as apps, just ensure you have the workflow saved as a macro, rather than an app. (in the workflow section of the configuration pane)

clipboard_image_0.png

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The voice saying "macro" is correct. Macros can definitely support input from the Date interface tool, so maybe there's some mechanics we can help with?

If possible, share your workflow (with a Text Input of sample data) and I'm sure the Community will have lots of helpful knowledge.

bertal34
8 - Asteroid

I saved the workflow as a macro.  When running, the date input calendar does not pop-up.  Attachment - I know you won't have access to my datasource but should still be able to see what I'm trying to do.  

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

All I did to your macro was add a Macro Output tool so the macro has a way to output the results into whatever workflow it is a part of. Now when the macro is added to a new workflow, the user can click on that macro to adjust date ranges and incorporate the results.

Let me know if this works for you.

bertal34
8 - Asteroid

Thank you Charlie!  One follow-up question, when you use date interface tools in an APP, a window opens prompting the user for date input before anything is ran.  Does the macro not do this prompt window?  Or is there another way to let the runner know that the workflow's macro is dependent on dates?

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Macros do not prompt the interface window because those controls are built into the "tool" configuration. 

Here are a few options to get your macro controls noticed:

- When the macro is inserted into an app, duplicate the macro questions there so those app interface questions update the macro(s) throughout the app process.

- Set a custom icon for these macros so when users insert it into their workflows, they have a visual reminder to check those parameters.

bertal34
8 - Asteroid

Excellent, thank you so much!!!!

hhart
6 - Meteoroid

Happy to find this thread! Can you make a suggestion on how to convert a 2nd chained app (having the list box interface tool which depends on the output of the 1st app in the chain) that I would like to convert to a macro?   The list box prompt should be repeated.  Does that make sense?

Labels