community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE

Shipping Routes

Asteroid

hi,

Has anybody done any work with maritime shipping routes?  For example, if i provide start and end coordinates of 2 shipping ports, e.g. Rio, Brazil & Grain UK, I would like returned possible shipping routes.  I'd then like to model scenarios on the routes, e.g. longest, shortest, mid distance.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Nick

Alteryx
Alteryx

I can't find any good datasets for more than a small region, but this site has live ship traffic.  I don't know if they make the underlying data available.

Open Sea Map might be another option.

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl
Customer Support Engineer

Asteroid

Thanks for this, I'll take a look.

Thanks,

Highlighted
Alteryx Partner

I work in logistics, and I was just looking for a way to get shipping routes in Alteryx as well, wondering if there is a product out there. CASS does drivetime stuff using road networks; I was wondering if there was a similar tool using shipping lanes, which, of course, are a bit more fluid than roads, but still pretty well defined. 

My issue is that the crow-fly/straight-line methodology vizzed in Tableau belies the actual distance having to go through the Panama Canal from Asia to the East Coast of North America (or from the EU to the west coast of North America). I'd like to find a way to create those paths.

So, I'm adding to this so I can monitor traffic on this topic. 

Labels