Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Sheet name does not match a sheet or range name

LinhNguyen
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I'm trying to get the first sheet in a excel file into the workflow. I used directory tool to get all the file paths, then filter tool to get the file that I want and add a sheet name behind it using formula tool.

This works fine for one of the files but for another, it showed me an error saying that the sheet name does not match. I have checked for spelling mistake or white space but still haven't found a problem. Does anyone know what's going on here?

this is the directory tool :

Directory toolDirectory tool

And here's the one that worked perfectly fine. :The case when it workedThe case when it worked

Here's the error I got. The formula is exactly the same. Sheet name is correct : ErrorError

I don't know what went wrong with this input.

6 REPLIES 6
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @LinhNguyen 

Is the sheet name really Report$ or you added the "$" for a convention?

Did you try without "$"?

Cheers,

LinhNguyen
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Thableaus ,

I tried both with $ and without $. I also tried putting another quote around the sheet name 'Report' . All of those didn't work and I still got the same error. 

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@LinhNguyen 

How's your template file on this tool? Did you set a file on the Dynamic Input Configuration with same schema as a template?

Cheers,

LinhNguyen
8 - Asteroid

@Thableaus ,

Yes I used a file with similar schema. It has the same columns and sheet name.

One more thing I noticed: I tried opening that exact file I need as a template and when I click on choosing sheet, nothing shows up. It's empty. Have you seen this before?

file sheet not shown.png

Sheet.PNG

LinhNguyen
8 - Asteroid

I think I found where the problem is.

Instead of the normal xlsx format, I used the Excel legacy format (still xlsx, I don't know where the difference is) and it worked. Not sure why though :))

And without the $ Alteryx couldn't read it in, which is strange. I saw some other posts where people used sheet name without $ but I haven't been able to use that even once.

Thank you so much!!!

sazit
6 - Meteoroid

I had ran into the same error, the issue for me was that the pull file path exceeded the character limit, so that could also be a reason for some other cases.

Labels