Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Sharepoint multi row text

plathrop8
5 - Atom

I'm having difficulty presenting text fields from Sharepoint.  In Sharepoint there are multiple rows delineated by a return and a bullet symbol, however, when I pull into Alteryx the separators are gone and the data from rows just runs from one to the next making it much harder for report users to read.

Capture 1 (attachment) is how the data looks in Sharepoint

Capture 2 is how the data from Sharepoint looks when imported to PowerBI

Capture 3 is how it looks when imported into Alteryx (the red brackets that I drew in are where the carriage return should be to make it more readable with each on a separate line within the same row)

3 REPLIES 3
rafalolbert
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @plathrop8,

Lets try something like this:

1) Use RegEx tool to replace any HTML tags with empty string

2) Cleanup any remaining bits, in my example i noticed an additional numeric entity representation of a space, so i did: Replace([multiline],' ','')

3) 'Text To Columns' with 'Split To Rows' option

4) Filter for empty records (1st record)

5) Reconstruct the bullets as per your character using 'Formula' tool

6) Summarize with concat and line break '\n'

The result looks like this: 

image1.jpg

Thanks,

Rafal

#Excuse me, do you speak Alteryx?

plathrop8
5 - Atom

@rafalolbert

In your example, the data is coming through the way I want to see it from the cell viewer like you show in one of your attachments, however, when you hook up a reporting table the data just gets smashed together again (not on separate lines within the cells). I attached your workflow adjusted to add the reporting table  as v1.

rafalolbert
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @plathrop8,

Please have a look at the updated workflow, changes include:

- in the 'Summarize' tool concatenation is using HTML's line break indicator: '<be />'

- this unfortunately is not honoured by the 'Table' tool

- 'Formula' tool is meant to fix it using: Replace([Table],"&lt;br /&gt;","<br />")

- below is the output from the 'Render' tool - please notice it has 'Table (Bad Field Type)' message, however this is still working as expected

image2.jpg

Thanks,

Rafal Olbert

#Excuse me, do you speak Alteryx? 

Labels