Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Sharepoint List Input Subfolder Filtering

cslunger
6 - Meteoroid

My I am using the Sharepoint List Input tool since I need to capture some data that resides in column metadata within an Office 365 Sharepoint list, and I was wondering if there was a way to navigate to a subfolder within Sharepoint to only pull that list using the list input tool. I've tried just introducing the subfolder in the web address but it appears navigation within the instance is handled differently than just nesting within the web address. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
@cslunger  I am intrigued by your question, but I don't understand it completely.  In particular I would like to learn more about the subfolder file structure you mention:  Is the subfolder part of a Library or is it a subsite of the site?  Is there a picture you could share or a more concrete example?  What have you tried and what were the results of your attempts?    If you've already arrived at a resolution, please share that so I can learn from it.
Lisa LePome
Principal Support Engineer -- Knowledge Management Coach
Alteryx, Inc.
cslunger
6 - Meteoroid

Hey @lepome, sorry I'm so late in replying.

Not sure if it would fall under library or subsite, but my company is on Office 365 and the Sharepoint was originally created through Teams, and because of that the html address was not a direct subfolder path; It appeared it was using the original instance as a hub and created very specific, unrelated names to organize itself into the subfolder.

Ultimately I ended up using the 'Sharepoint List Input' tool to get a directory listing of my Sharepoint instance and pulling in every single file in the sharepoint instance, within every single subfolder. Doing that, it pulled all the column metadata from every subfolder, so if there was 'origin date' as a column in one subfolder but not in any other, the data would be populated for that file and every other file within the sharepoint instance would have a Null value. I ended up just filtering out the nulls on the column whose data I was after, and it essentially filtered out everything but that subfolder. Couldn't find an easier way.

The impetus for this ask was that I was trying to get a date and subtitle information that identified a document so I could get the most recent file for each state, and that data was stored in the column metadata on sharepoint.

I hope this explained it well enough, happy to go into more detail if you have questions.

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@cslunger

Congratulations on a solution that was simultaneously brute force and creative.  I think there is probably not a more elegant way to do that because of the way that SharePoint stores that data, but this could be a good challenge for the broader Community.  *hint* *hint*  Anyone?

Lisa LePome
Principal Support Engineer -- Knowledge Management Coach
Alteryx, Inc.
Labels