Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Sharepoint List - Credendials

pvijendr
7 - Meteor

Hi Everyone!!

While Connecting the Sharepoint list using Sharepoint connector, It is asking Username and Password..  Instead of hardcoading the credentials, is there anyway Alteryx can authenticate the credentials using Windows Authentication since my Windows login credentials and Sharepoint Credentials are same. Or is there any way we can encrypt the password we are hardcoading ?

5 REPLIES 5
JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi pvijendr

The only way to hard code username & Password currently in the Sharepoint tool is to 'save connection history'. Once you have ran this connection once it will be available in the URL dropdown, this will subsequently populate the Sharepoint connector. 

I hope this helps,

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant, Alteryx Inc. 

pvijendr
7 - Meteor

Thanks JordanB for your Reply.  I am also aware of the 'save connection history' option, but I am designing worflow for other users. Many users may run this workflow and I dont want every user to hardcode username and password and run. I want a work flow should automatically pickup creds from Active Directory or is there any way we can pass the encypted password to Alteryx ?. Unfortunately we dont have generic creds.  

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Pvijendr,

Unfortunately for now the sharepoint tool cannot pick up from Active Directory. 

What I would suggest is suggesting this on the Ideas Page of the community as the developemnt team will be at some point updating the SharePoint connector to use REST instead of SOAP, so the potential of additional encryption

maybe included if mentioned on the Ideas Page here in the Community. Since SharePoint is deprecating SOAP, it's not likely new features will be added until such time that the development team can update it to use REST. There is no date for when this work will be done but it is in the queue.

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant, Alteryx Inc. 

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @pvijendr

What I recommend in this case is to create a macro with your credentials, and distribuite it encrypted.

It's a very simple workaround:

Drag a Sharepoint List Input, and connect a Macro Output to it.

Fill your credentials in the Sharepoint connector interface, try the connection. Once you're satisfied about the results, save the macro and encrypt it (keep a copy unencrypted).

You got a Sharepoint Connector without showing anyone your credentials.

Best,

_AG_

Justlncredible
5 - Atom

Hi Jordan,

Can I follow up with you on the request to add the ability to authenticate with SharePoint via Windows authentication?  Our current environment does not allow the ability to connect to SharePoint via username/password and requires the use of Windows authentication.  Many workflows and data points that currently exist within our agency are contained within SharePoint, and it would be a great testament to and growth (more licenses) for Alteryx within our community to have the ability for Alteryx Designer to connect to SharePoint via Windows authentication.  

I would appreciate if you could ask around and provide me with an updated status :)

Labels