Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

SharePoint Online (365) - Input Tool - Multi-select field is getting trucated

aehrenwo
11 - Bolide

I am noticing an issue that I do not recall coming across before. We have a few fields in a SharePoint list that are People Picker (multi-select) that have more than 255 characters so they are getting truncated.  I am using 2020.2

Is this a known limitation with the connector?  I don't see anything that stands out in the community about this issue and I don't see any way to adjust this on the Alteryx side. it seems like my only option is to create a field in SharePoint that maybe only displays the email of the selected users (instead of the full name). 

Any insight would be helpful so I don't waste time trying to come up with a solution. 

Increasing the number of characters with a Select tool has no effect. I didn't expect it to but I know some might suggest that :-) 

1 REPLY 1
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @aehrenwo 

From looking at similar posts in the community, it looks like this is a limitation of the SharePoint List Input tool.  The most successful solution was this one, where the user used a Run Command tool to launch a VBS script file that downloaded the contents of the list to an excel file and then read from the file.  Note that any VBS based solution will NOT run in a server environment. 

If you need to run this on a server and you're familiar with Python, you might want to consider using a Python tool leveraging the SharePlum library.  Here is a very detailed example.  The Python code in the example runs in Visual studio, but it should run with minimal modifications in the Python tool.      

Dan

Labels