Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

SharePoint Error - String was not recognized as a valid DateTime

ImMoinak94
8 - Asteroid

Hi Wonderful people of the community,

I am having a really tough time exporting my data to SharePoint. All my fields are available in both SharePoint and my Dataset that is to be exported. In fact, the Data types are also the exact same. I have also taken into consideration that if my SharePoint Data type is V_W String then I don't use a String data type in my output. But it's strange that I get the error - String was not recognized as a valid DateTime

I did a quick Google search to find out. Seems that a lot of people using other tools encountered the same issue and is a typical SharePoint issue. How can I solve this?

SP_In_Out.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
josephschafer
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

This is an interesting challenge.

The issue seems to be that Sharepoint uses a different DateTime Standard, specifically ISO 8601.  I don't know the exact formulation it prefers but it seems Alteryx is not alone in having this issue.  You can see some discussion here: https://sheths.wordpress.com/2010/05/17/date-format-using-sharepoint-lists-web-service-and-updatelis...

This happens because the date value are not formatted using the ISO 8601 specifications. To avoid this error you can call the ToString() method of the DateTime class and pass the format string "yyyy-MM-ddThh:mm:ssZ" as a parameter.

Further discussion of how this standard works can also be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

A single point in time can be represented by concatenating a complete date expression, the letter "T" as a delimiter, and a valid time expression. For example, "2007-04-05T14:30". It is permitted to omit the "T" character by mutual agreement as in "200704051430". Separating date and time parts with other characters such as space is not allowed in ISO 8601, but allowed in its profile

If a time zone designator is required, it follows the combined date and time. For example, "2007-04-05T14:30Z" or "2007-04-05T12:30-02:00".

Either basic or extended formats may be used, but both date and time must use the same format. The date expression may be calendar, week, or ordinal, and must use a complete representation. The time may be represented using a specified reduced accuracy format.

I don't know whether you'd be able to get over this by formatting the date into an ISO 8601 compatible string and hoping for Sharepoint to adopt it as a datetime or not.  It might be something that the Connectivity Team needs to address as part of a revision to the Sharepoint List Output tool...

You might want to reach out to support@alteryx.com to log a ticket, there may be a workaround besides my suggestion above.

ImMoinak94
8 - Asteroid

Thanks! My workflow is failing to convert the the date to ISO format. Can you please help me with a dummy workflow to convert the data?

Anyone from support@alteryx.com can help on this issue?

Labels