Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Several input files question

malcorr
7 - Meteor

Hello everyone, 

I have the attached Workflow and the 2 input files I use, lets call them "Custom Calc" and "Base Calc".

As you see, the input files in the example are named after "ID" (Idaho). This means, every state will have it's own 2 input files (Custom Calc and Base Calc), and i'd need to get one output file for each state.

for doing this, 2 options come to my mind:

1) Having 40+ individual workflows (One for Alabama, one for Alaska, one for Oklahoma, etc), and running them one by one.

• For Example, for Alabama i will have "AL Custom Calc" and "AL Base Calc", and one output called "AL Calc", and so on for each state.

2) see if there is a way in which i can save all the input files in a specific folder (maybe with a specific naming convention i guess) and somehow tell Alteryx to pick them up and run it just once and provide all the output files at once.

Obviously, option number 2 is way much better, but i'm not sure if it's possible or how can i Achieve that.

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
MattBSlalom
11 - Bolide

Batch Macro to the rescue!

Effectively, you build out your workflow for 1 state (like Idaho), then we tweak the Inputs/Outputs a bit to turn it into a Macro (specifically by adding the Control Parameter tool).  Then we create a separate parent workflow that will simply get the list of states to process and call your Macro configured to run once per state.

Parent workflow sample (literally just passing in the list of states):

MattBSlalom_0-1619727033826.png

Batch Macro sample (all I added was the Output Data tool & the Container with the Control Parameter & Action tools):

MattBSlalom_1-1619727089407.png

malcorr
7 - Meteor

This looks good! Thank you very much.

I have on question though, where do I save the input files?? can i configure the macro to pick them up somehow??

I must say my license has expired and the company didnt renew it : s, So i have to meet next week with another analyst who does have a license. Nevertheless, I want to go to the meeting with a possible solution and test it there, so im not able to open the file you just sent.

MattBSlalom
11 - Bolide

The Control Parameter is currently taking the State abbreviation list and (through the Action tools) replacing the "ID" portion of the input & output file names.  This could easily be changed to have it update the folder names instead if you don't want them all living in the same directory.

Labels