Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Server App not pulling in flat files

Nchase
5 - Atom

I have a workflow where the inputs are flat files. The app runs flawlessly when I run it in the designer on my PC. However, after uploading it to our Alteryx server, when I select the flat file from file browse I am presented with the error:

File Upload Error

Requested file format is not supported.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the app on the server to accept flat files?
12 REPLIES 12
DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Nchase How's your file browse tool configured? Do you have a sample workflow that has this issue that you can share?

Digan
Alteryx
Nchase
5 - Atom

@DiganP  Hey Digan here is a snip of how it is currently configured:

Capture.PNG

DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Nchase Try changing the Arbitrary File Specification to All files - All Files (*.*)|*.*

I believe this will work.

Digan
Alteryx
Nchase
5 - Atom

@DiganP  I completely removed the app from our server and changed the Arbitrary file specification (see below) and re-uploaded the app. Still receiving the same error message

Capture2.PNG

Strangely, this runs fine in the designer when you run as analytic app, but not from the server. 

jumaia
6 - Meteoroid

I'm facing the same issues with an excel file. Is there a solution for this Server error?

jdminton
12 - Quasar

In your app, you likely have a placeholder file that gets updated to the input file, but if that placeholder file is not correctly pathed out in the server app (path from server will be different than from your desktop), the app will fail. Can you check the location of the file from the server to ensure you are able to connect to the placeholder file? 

jumaia
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for your quick input. I have the File Browser with specification for Excel to eliminate the need for users to choose the sheet or avoid the incorrect selection. The action tool is then configured to replace the entire filename and not the sheet. See screenshot below. Any thoughts what is wrong?server.jpg

jdminton
12 - Quasar

It appears that the replaced string is going to leave the last "x" from .xlsx in the new filename. Meaning when the user adds the new file, it will look for an .xlsxx file.

Also, if the tab name for the user differs, it will not locate the sheet since that part is not being replaced.

jumaia
6 - Meteoroid

Sorry,I fixed the missing X but it is still giving me the same error.

And totally understand the tab name :)

Labels