Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Sequential flow of workflows

taranoberoi
7 - Meteor

HI Please find below Screenshot of workflow I am working with:

My First Workflow Take Input from File and push its content to a particular table(Output)

Second workflow: then based on condition(Radio check button)  use the same data which we pushed into table(output) and do massaging.

Issue is now sometime my second workflow runs before 1st and misses some records which are not being pushed yet and second workflow started.

So is there anyway we can tell Workflow 2 to wait until workflow 1 is done. FYI.. My second workfloe got radio button condition and then all the code is in the container.

Thanks and looking forward to your help.

2017-05-16_11-17-50.png

5 REPLIES 5
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Try putting a "Block Until Done" tool in your first workflow just before the output tool... I believe that should halt everything else until that path is done? Let us know if that does the trick.... :)

NJ

taranoberoi
7 - Meteor

I tried Block until done but still it did not because both of the workflows are different to each other, whereas Block until done is linked to only first one. But however I found another solution which is having these workflows seperatly and calling 2nd one at the completition of first one(succesfully).....

But thank you again for the help.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @taranoberoi

The only way that I've been consistently able to make this work, is to wrap each of the sub-flows in Batch Macros with a fake control parameter which is not used.   The reason that this works is that Batch Macros are designed to not pass control onto the next component until all batches have completed, so wrapping these sub-flows like this works very well.

Let me know if it's worth mocking this up with a simple flow to demonstrate (or you may have enough to go on with the note above)

BTW - this is a very common need - would you add your support to one of the idea threads around this like : https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/basic-flow-of-control-macro-container-type/id...

If this gets you to a solution, would you mind marking this thread as solved, otherwise happy to iterate with you to find a solution.

Cheers

Sean

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

http://www.chaosreignswithin.com

ParallelBlockUntilDone

cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Data3
5 - Atom

Hello,

Could you please provide your solution here .

Thanks!

DATA3

Labels