Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Separate output file by variable field

MCDR929
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I have a gallery app where users select employees via list box, then enter a date range. My filters work correctly, but I'm trying to render these with breaks between employees.

Currently, the table output looks like this (my dashes here represent separate columns):

James T. Kirk - 1000 - 54 - 462 - 14%

James T. Kirk - 4536 - 189 - 14 - 76%

James T. Kirk - 22 - 467 - 200%

Jean Luc Picard - 897 - 42 - 6 - 105%

Jean Luc Picard - 1032 - 1000 - 87 - 42%

etc.

An ideal outcome would be an Excel file with separate tabs for each employee.

I have an image file and a [User Name:A] report text that, in a perfect world, would appear on each page as well (with the user name being dynamic, of course).

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you

10 REPLIES 10
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @MCDR929 ,

You can configure the output tool to give you the records as you wish.

Untitled.png

Just check the box, select the option 'Change File/Table Name' and select the column by which the records have to be divided

Cheers

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @MCDR929 

The attached WF does just that.  One tab per Captain

Output.png

Dan

MCDR929
8 - Asteroid

@danilang & @afv2688 - thank you!

If I have images and whatnot, currently going through the visual layout, can I still do this somehow?  Right now, I only have the option to choose "layout" instead of a column name.

If I need to scrap the graphics and headers, I can do that.  It's just not ideal.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @MCDR929 

Here's the basics of how to do that

Separate(images).png

and a sample of one of the tabs in the file

Kirk.png

With old Kirk, of course.

Dan

MCDR929
8 - Asteroid

OF COURSE it's old Kirk, the OG.  Nicely done.

I appreciate all your help.  One last question, though.  The logo image will be static on each tab, but the name of the employee (er, captain) will be different for each... and right now, there's potential for hundreds.  So is there a tool or a formula that can be used to make the text field change? I'm familiar with using [User Name:A], but is there something else I can put in there that would make sure the text reflects whatever user name is on each tab? 

MCDR929
8 - Asteroid

@danilang - forgot to tag you in this question, so I'm not sure you saw it.  Any advice?

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

hi @MCDR929 

Which text field are you referring to?

Dan

MCDR929
8 - Asteroid

@danilang - the "captain" name.  So, essentially, I'm reporting on performance metrics per employee.  Our company and report logo will appear at the top of every page/tab, but I'd like for each page/tab to have that individual's name above the table itself.  Not critical.  If it can't be done, that's alright.  

Just to clarify, the layout would be something like:

-1st page/tab-

STATIC LOGO

Employee name

Table (all data for that employee)

-Next page/tab-

STATIC LOGO

Next employee name

Table with data for THAT employee

For the name field, I'm using the Report Text tool, with [User Name:A].  I don't know what the "A" in that means, as it comes up automatically when I choose the available field.  I was wondering if maybe there's something else I can put instead of "A" that might achieve my goal, but I haven't been able to find any tutorials or articles about it.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @MCDR929 

The basic process I use, which I'm sure, is similar to the one you use, is to generate all the report objects required, use a Join Multiple to align all the report snippets by record.  Then the 1st Layout tool does the intra-record layout, i.e. putting the text between the image and the table.  The 2nd Layout tool determines the overall(inter-record) layout of the final, i.e. each record gets it's own tab

I created the text as a new snippet from the summarized data, added it into the corresponding record and put it between the image and the text in the 1st Layout

Separate(images+text).png

The result is that you now have a text field proclaiming the greatness of James T. Kirk, before you get to the details.

Kirk(text).png

Dan  

Labels