Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Separate out unique rows between 2 Excel files?

chester50
6 - Meteoroid

Hi everyone,

Is there a tool or a process I can use that compares two input Excel files for duplicate rows between the two files and separates out the unique rows?

I have attached two simplified examples of data for monthly billings. The November billing file includes the new hours for November as well as the old hours worked in October. Is there a way I could input both of these example Excel files into Alteryx and create a workflow that compares both of the files for the duplicate rows and separates out the new rows for further analysis. I have also attached the desired data I would like to output in my example. 

The reason I can't just filter by date is that people sometimes report hours in the next month that correspond to the previous month. The reason I can't just filter by posting data is that our billing reports are done part-way throughout the month and include some time from the current month. That's why I am attempting to create a way to compare the two files for duplicates and return the unique rows, because the analysis I perform is only on the new rows added each time I pull the report. 

My ultimate goal is to simplify my current process of going through and searching for new unreported hours in each month's new billing report that includes all hours ever charged to each code. 

Thank you so much for the help!!

2 REPLIES 2
MSalvage
11 - Bolide

@chester50,

If these fields are the same in both/all files, then I would join the two files on all fields and take only the rows that don't match from the NOV file.

Simple example attached.

Best,

MSalvage

chester50
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you so much for the help! It works exactly how I need it to. 

Labels