Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Separate all uniques and all duplicates

DanWhalen
7 - Meteor

The Unique tool separates all unique records into one stream, and all the "extras" into a separate one.

INPUT:
ColName
cat
cat
dog

OUTPUT:
UNIQUE
ColName
cat
dog

DUPLICATE
ColName
cat

But what if I want instead for all the Uniques to go to one data steam and all Duplicates to go to the other?

OUTPUT:
UNIQUE
ColName
dog

DUPLICATE
ColName
cat
cat

I can imagine some workarounds, but is there a preferred way of accomplishing this?

6 REPLIES 6
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
Try watching my YouTube video which explains the only unique tool.

https://youtu.be/HXhpgEOSi2Q

Cheers,

Mark
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
ZacharyM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

+1 to what @MarqueeCrew said - the CrEW macros are amazing and I highly recommend them, for this tool and others in the package!

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

2018-12-11_19-53-59.png

Use a summarise tool (Group By ColName, Count ColName) and then filter when Count = 1

This will give you unique records

You can then join this back to the original and the J output will have the unique records, L output will have the others

DanWhalen
7 - Meteor

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

DanWhalen
7 - Meteor

Mark,

I appreciate the macro, but I'd like to avoid them at the moment.  I'm new to Alteryx, and for now, I want to make sure I'm able to understand/articulate all of what my code is doing.  Haven't gotten into macros yet, would have to treat it as a black box right now, and I feel hinky about black boxes this early on.  Trying to stick to the basics only right now.

Soon though!

Thank you, I appreciate the reply!  

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
I understand your POV but want you to know that a good proportion of Alteryx tools themselves are macros. The video that I suggested explains multiple alternatives to the macro itself and is a good source of basic training.

Cheers,

Mark
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Labels