Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Sending parameters to Connection string of ODBC

Purpose
7 - Meteor

Is there a way to have the user to send a parameter to the connection string to change it.  EntityGroupCode is the one I am after.    See below image. Connection string is saved as an alias aka:ColumnarReportTest

Purpose_0-1613685141499.png

Details of the connection string are not exposed to the Action tool  

Purpose_1-1613685417587.png

I can see the alias is being translated correctly in the workflow results.  

Purpose_2-1613685564570.png

2 REPLIES 2
TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @Purpose 

You may be able to do this by creating a macro. If you put the connection string directly into an input tool, you could modify parts of it and push it to update the changes downstream.
However, there are a few concerns.
1. It wouldn't be recommended to do this with any sensitive information like usernames and passwords.

2. The Data Source you are pointing to isn't Supported by Alteryx, so this could cause problems within the workflow itself.

If you can, please upload a copy of your existing workflow with some sample information (sample connection string, and sample replacements) and how you want this to function, the Community may be able to create a few mock macros which you can adapt.
Thanks!
TrevorS

Community Moderator
Purpose
7 - Meteor

Hi TrevorS,

I used DSN-less connection to solve the issue.  I was then able to pass some parameters to the connection string.  Connection string does not store authentication information.  

Thanks for looking into the issue.  

Purpose

Labels