Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Send Email if

Hermes1314
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to trigger the delivery of an email in the specific case in which a String value is not found in my field. The email is pretty much supposed to be sent to me on a daily basis only to notify "hey, that string today is not there".

Any idea on how I can trigger the email in such case?

Francesco_Kette_0-1634050338166.png

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Hermes1314 

You should be able to add a 'does not contain' filter before the email to check the field that doesn't have the string. If no records are passed the email won't send. 

Hermes1314
7 - Meteor

Hi @Luke_C,

Thanks for the idea, but unfortunately that does not really help. Such filter would give me a result 100% of the cases, which is not good.

I need the email to be sent exclusively in the situation where that one specific string containing the word "Tableau" is not present in my dataset. 

Luke_C
17 - Castor

@Hermes1314 

Do you have some sample data? Maybe following a filter check you can count the records and do another check based on the record counts?

HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

Hi @Hermes1314 , as @Luke_C  had stated, filter the records.

Seeing your image of the workflow, you may achieve same by connecting the email tool to the false anchor of your existing filter tool.

Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

If I understand correctly, the MODULE field has multiple strings and you want to check if any of them contains "Tableau".  If none of them do, you want to send the email.  So there will always be some records that do not match.

This will do it:

Christina_Hurrell_2-1634054952011.png

Count the records from the true anchor on your original filter, and check if the count is 0 (no matching strings).  Connect the email tool to the T anchor on the second filter.

HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

Hi @Hermes1314 

If you also want to identify which records and associated values do not match your requirement (equal to Tableau), try appending text to a table containing the invalid records using the Report Text tool, then attach to your Email tool with the Table field as your message body.

Let me know if you want the workflow to stop processing downstream if any MODULE values do not equal Tableau.

Capture.PNG

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Hermes1314 ,

Is this what you're after?

I think you mean you might have the following dataset:

mceleavey_0-1634057899231.png

and you want an email to be sent if "Tableau" does not appear in the "Module" column at all. So, you only want to receive one email, basically saying it does not exist.

I've achieved this as follows:

mceleavey_1-1634058062887.png

I used the Summarise tool to concatenate the Module column into a single cell, separated by \n (line breaks). This allows you to then filter on whether the entire column contains "Tableau" or not, and not individual rows.

I hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

Hermes1314
7 - Meteor

@Christina_H thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. Great advice, thank you very much, problem solved. 🙂

Labels