Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Selecting most recent record based on previous records

jrdnjhnsn2
7 - Meteor

Hey all,

I've got some account level data I'm pulling in from Redshift, and I'm having trouble getting exactly what I need. There's some "interesting" record keeping in this database, so that makes it a bit more complicated.

Basically I've got fields for mortality count and lapse count, which denote if the policy died or lapsed respectively. A 1 means death or lapse, 0 means inforce, and -1 means a previous death or lapse record was reversed. I've got another field called type_of_record, and the only values we care about here are L, R, D, and null. L means lapse, R means reinstated, D means death, and null means inforce.

Lapses: It's possible for a policy to lapse and then be reinstated, so if there's an L on 5/20/2013 and an R on 5/25/2013, then I don't want either of those records. However, if there's an L and no R, then I want the valdate of the most recent lapse. 

Deaths: Similar to lapses, if there's a death and no reversal of that death, then I want the valdate of the last recorded death. The part that is confusing me is how to grab only the death record if there was a previous lapse. Right now my workflow is grabbing the most recent lapse and the last recorded death, but if they died, I only want the death record.

Inforce: If there are no recorded lapses or deaths (or they were reversed out of), then I want the most recent valdate where the type_of_record field is null (or empty). 

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Added a record ID to the original dataset and the desired output.

4 REPLIES 4
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

@jrdnjhnsn2 I think I have an idea of where to start with this, but for the data provided could you also provide the expected result data set? There are a variety of ways that you can pick the latest record based on criteria, but I'm not 100% clear on your desired output and format. 

jrdnjhnsn2
7 - Meteor

@BrandonB I added my desired output for the dataset I provided. I tacked on a record ID for easier comparison. Note that even though the first policy has lots of entries for death and lapse, the sum of everything in their Mortality_Count and Lapse_Count is 0 so I just want to grab record 282 for them. Don't ask how they can die so many times haha I'd like to know too!

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

This workflow matches your output and I believe captures the desired logic. Can you give this a try to see if it does what you need it to do?

validate.png

jrdnjhnsn2
7 - Meteor

@BrandonB Works perfectly! Thanks for your help!!

Labels