Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Selecting fields in one data source based on field type in another source

susan
5 - Atom

I have two Excel data sources -- one with respondent data (Data Labels) and another (Question Helper) that assigns new field names and field types to each field in Data Labels file.

In my data preparation process I need to do different things to different field types. So, as in the attached example, I need to transpose fields in the Data Labels source that are labeled "Likert" or "Grid" in the Question Helper source, but I need to execute a multi-field formula on fields that are labeled "CATA".

It would save me a ton of time if the fields I need are automatically the only ones shown in the configuration setup for each tool, or are automatically selected. So when configuring the Transpose tool, the only fields in the "Data Fields" window are Likert or Grid items, and when configuring the Multi-Field Formula tool, the only fields in the Select window are CATA items.

That way they're either already selected or I could very quickly "select all" in the configurations and not have to scroll through and figure out which fields to manually select in each case.

I would greatly appreciate any help on this! Thank you! Demo workflow attached.

3 REPLIES 3
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@susan

I separated the Likert, CATA and other questions in your helper data and then filtered the questions (using a set of JOIN tools after transposing all of the questions) into 3 streams of data.  There is a CATA stream that you can work with at the top.  When you're finished there, you can crosstab the data and union it with the rest of the questions.

Capture.PNG

I hope that this helps you.

Thanks,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
susan
5 - Atom

Thanks, Mark -- that's just what I needed! Really appreciate the help.

Susan

RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Something you might want to also look at for future reference is the Dynamic Select. With that you can select fields based on data type, or you can explicitly select based on a formula expression. 

Labels