Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Selecting Columns on Excel Data Import

thelegazy
7 - Meteor

Hi All, 

First time post, I've looked through a lot of threads and couldn't find the answer. 

I have an Excel Workbook that I'm trying to Input data from, but I only want about 6 columns of the 80 columns that have data. 

I've seen where I can select a range of data, but I don't want to pull in all the columns between G and FX. Is there anyway I can call out in the SQL which columns to import? 

Any help would be appreciated!

12 REPLIES 12
JoshKushner
12 - Quasar

You can do this in the input tool or with the select tool after reading in all 80 columns.

Input Tool:

When reading an excel doc you can modify the SQL. Press the '...' in the 'Table or Query' section. Then add the range you want (in this case 'A:F') after the '$' of the sheet name but before the apostrophe. This will only take in the first 6 columns. 

sql edit.PNG

sql.PNG

results.PNG

Select Tool:

Make sure you deselect the '*Unknown' field to only take in the columns you want. You can deselect all in the options menu then select the columns you want.

select.PNG

thelegazy
7 - Meteor

Thank you so much!!

jakub-mg
6 - Meteoroid
Hi Is there a way to refer to the columns by name? I know I can read all columns then use a select tool, but was wondering if selecting individual columns would speed it up. The file loads fine if I don't try individual columns. Thanks Jakub
MPohlers
8 - Asteroid

Is there a way to do this in Alteryx 2018.2? Neither the excel input nor the legaxy excel input allow my to define a query.

fiorano
8 - Asteroid

Hi,  can we also define which row to import from?  I need to import columns A:AH and my header row is row 3..... 

Thanks

Fiorano

Nik
5 - Atom

Hi Fiorano,

Yes, where you select the range A:AH, you can just add the row after the column, just like in excel.

In your case Sheet1$A3:AH'

Bye

D12monkey
8 - Asteroid

@JoshKushner Or anyone else.... Sorry to highjack the tread but my alteryx comes up like so when I click on the "..." in the input tool:

Table-Query selection.PNG

Is this a because my company makes me run an non-elevated version of alteryx? Could it be that my company has disabled the query tool from alteryx?

I also can not enter a command directly into the line on the input tool.

lepps77
5 - Atom

My alteryx comes out the same way. I cannot enter a command directly on the line nor edit the line. Is there a reason for that? 

sonyakasenkramer
8 - Asteroid

Same. Has anyone found a solution to this?

Labels