Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Select top 10 by category

Nithin_Prakash
5 - Atom

Hi there,

I have a dataset with columns Area, District and Sales. I need to get top 10 Area by Sales for all the N Districts. I could solve this using partition in SQL but this data is got by joining 2 tables and I need to set it up through Alteryx.

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
JoshuaGostick
11 - Bolide

Hi @Nithin_Prakash,

Try using the Sort tool to sort on each Area and District with Sales in descending order. Then, add a Sample tool, select 1 of every N rows, add 10 for N=, and group on Area and District.

Let me know if this works of if you have any questions!

Thanks,

Josh

Nazik_Ghukasyan
7 - Meteor

@JoshuaGostick hello

I have a database with following columns

• Product
  • Year of sales (2010-2020)
  • Price

can you help me to understand how I can filter on top 20 products per sales for a year 2017-2020?

thank you

Nazik

trevorwightman
8 - Asteroid

For this I would use a combination of the sort, tile and filter tool.

1. Filter your data to 2017-2020

2. Sort by price descending and product such that you have each product grouped together and sorted descending.

3. Use the tile tool to create a tile sequence number (I believe you can check the unique tile option)

4. Filter any tile sequence number less than or equal to 20.

Let me know if this works!

Nazik_Ghukasyan
7 - Meteor

perfect, thank you so much

it is working well and with your help I learnt one more tool which is TILE tool 🙂

ht9850
5 - Atom

Here's my answer to select top 10 by category

MWilkinson
5 - Atom

I know this was answered months ago, but for people coming across this thread--

You can also use the sample tool, and in this case you would select "First N rows" and then make N = 20.

You would group by what you want to actually take 20 of, "District" in this example.

Labels