Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Select tool in macro

markp201
8 - Asteroid

Just starting to get into the world of macros but hit a snag.  I have a simple macro to output fields a user selects from the input

For the macro input, I used an xls for but when I tried to use the macro with an access database, the fields from the xls showed up.

I was expecting the list of fields from the access table.  

I thought the macro input was a placeholder and the calling workflow would supply the field list.

4 REPLIES 4
JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @markp201

I have attached an example workflow which shows how you can do this. I believe the option you may have missed inside of the macros configuration is within the Interface designer (View<<<Interface Designer). 

You will need to select the 'Output fields chnage based on macros configuration or data input'. This will update the macro input for the new file input. 

Make sure using a list tool you have the option within the action tool as 'Update select with multi-select listbox'. 

Pic 1.png

Worfklow built in Alteryx 10.6

Best,

Jordan Barker

markp201
8 - Asteroid

yes, that was exactly the workflow but I didn't have that option checked.  Many thanks.

bryanbumgardner
8 - Asteroid

So I'm having a similar problem but working with In-DB tools. The option under action to 'Update select with multi-select listbox' is not available if the select tool is the "In-DB" version of the select tool.

I've followed the rest of this structure. Is there a reason this wouldn't work?

bryanbumgardner
8 - Asteroid

To answer my own question: I had not linked the data source to the initial interface tool via the link at the top of the tool. All fixed! 

Labels