Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Alteryx is here to help you solve your biggest data challenges. Read about the new Virtual Solution Center here.
SOLVED

Select records with dynamic range?

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I am using the Batch Input Macro from this post (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/The-Ultimate-Input-Data-Flowchart/ta-p/20480) to input one tab from 36 Workbooks. The tab is not the exact same in each workbook, hence the need for the batch macro. 

I want to modify the Macro to look down the rows of the tab, & to select only those records that occur below a specified piece of text...

For example:

• in Workbook 123, the text "Select from here" appears in row 134, therefore I want the "Select Records" tool with the range 135+
  • in Workbook 456, the text "Select from here" appears in row 160, therefore I want the "Select Records" tool with the range 161+

I want the modification to be made before the Macro Output tool like in the below screenshot where I added the "Select Records" tool

Any ideas?

Alteryx select records.JPG

Alteryx Partner

I would just add a new field called "indicator" with the MultiRow Formula Tool that looks something like:

IF CONTAINS([Field1], 'select from here')

THEN 1

ELSE [Row-1:indicator]

ENDIF

Then, you can perform a filter on indicator=1, and just remove the first row. (or do IF CONTAINS([Row-1:Field1], 'select from here).

The important bit here is that you configure the MultiRow Formula Tool to set "Values for Fields that don't Exist" to "0 or Empty", so that everything except for the desired rows will be 0.

Let me know if this helps or I've missed something,

Cheers!

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Thanks very much for your help!

Highlighted
Alteryx Partner

No problem, glad I could point you in the right direction!

Labels