Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Select following an AutoField tool is not showing the correct data types

nhunter
7 - Meteor

I am using an input tool to read a pipe-delimited text file and so all the fields are defaulting to V_String(4096).

I want to use an Autofileld tool to detect the correct data typles. The output metadata looks good, but when I feed the output into a Select tool, the Select tool is converting them all back to V_String(4096). 

What on earth is going on?

nhunter_1-1616437450308.png

3 REPLIES 3
TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @nhunter 

Can you please provide the data, and your workflow as it is?
From the screenshots you provided I am seeing more than just V_String data.
Thanks!
TrevorS

Community Moderator
nhunter
7 - Meteor

Hi, Trevor. Thanks for the response.

The data is read from a text file in a macro upstream. That is where I parse out the date fields. All the other fields remain as V_String. It appears from the metadata that the Autofield is correctly identifying the field types but select is picking up the types as output from the macro.

I think this is just another hidden penalty of using macros. When I read and parse the data in the workflow instead of in a macro, everything works as expected.

TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @nhunter 

Have you tried to add the Auto Field within the macro? 
If that still doesn't work, then the Auto Field is not going to generate the correct field types since its within a macro.
This could be a great idea to post though!
Thanks,
TrevorS

Community Moderator
Labels