Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Select and Unselect Items in SELECT Tool

macabrera
7 - Meteor

Hi, 

I have a DropDown Tool with the fields in a Select Tool... And I would like to select the one I choose in The dropDown and unselect de one that is comming for defoult.

So I have this workflow

Imagen 1.jpg

In the Drop Down I have set this

Imagen 2.jpg

And The Select is like this

Imagen 4.jpg

I dont find the way to Unselect "Total_moroso" and Select the new choice the users make in de DropDown Tool. I know it is in the Action Tool, but I have troubles by making the Formula to do it.

Thanks for your Help

5 REPLIES 5
kane_glendenning
10 - Fireball

Hi Macabrera,

I quite often have problems trying to de-select fields in the select tool. To do it, you would need an action tool to deselect, and an action tool to select the correct one, however in the example that you have given, you don't need any fields selected at first and therefore you won't have to de-select.

The User always has to select the field that they want even if it is Total, so in the select tool, have none of the fields selected (apart from your Date) and then just have the action tool select the relevant field.

Let me know if this isn't clear.

Kane

macabrera
7 - Meteor

Ok... And which option do I have to Use?

Imagen 1.jpg

"Update Select with multi-Select List Box" Does not Work because I have a DropDownlist... And I dont find the correct Formula that works with this

:(

HannahSinclair
Alteryx
Alteryx

I agree with Kane that you should start with only the fields that must always be selected checked within the Select tool. Also I am guessing the reason you are using a DropDown tool instead of using a List Box and therefore the "Update Select with multi-Select List Box" option is to limit the user to selecting only one field. In that case there is not a very direct way to do this, but I have attached a module with two possible solutions for you to look at.

The first actually uses the List Box and corresponding Update action, but also includes an Error Message tool which will throw an error if the user selects more than one option.This just requires a long formula for checking all valid combinations of the check boxes within the Error Message tool.

The second option uses the DropDown tool as you have it and then adds an action per DropDown value. In each Action I use the "Update Value with Formula" to check whether the DropDown Selection equals a field and if so then set the Select to True, else set it to False.

Let me know if this helps and if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Hannah Keller

Software Engineer

Alteryx, Inc.

macabrera
7 - Meteor

Finally, this is what I did

1. I let one selected on the SELECT Tool

2. Change the selection with the DropDown List.

3. That returns Two Selections..So.. I renamed All The possibles selection Items with he same Name

4. Before the Output file I added a new SELECT and de-Select the Unknown field... 

Somehow I managed to keep just exactly what I wanted.. Just The one the user selected :D

I add my work... The SELECT (99) tool is the one I was having problems with... 

Thanks for all your comments :)

dawid_nawrot
9 - Comet

Can this be done with one List Box and dynamically select/deselect columns you want to return? I have ListBox (Manually entered fields) -> Action -> Select Tool  but how do I apply the Action if I have to specify the field? Is that when Replace with Formula comes to play?

Labels