Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Select List After a DETOUR is Empty

artzee1556
8 - Asteroid

Hello - 

Wrangling with this very straightforward issue for a few hours now. I have a simple analytics app that queries a sql database and then prompts then presents the user with three options to select from the database: by Account, by Last Name and by Email address. I do this via checkboxes and the DETOUR tool. The app works okay but strangely enough when I click on the Filter that occurs AFTER the detour tool (there are 3 of them for each checkbox) the field list that looked perfectly healthy before the Detour, disappears. When I click on the Filter plugged in after the Detour tool it is empty. What's even weirder is that I can enter a custom query and type in a field name that is flagged in red as an error (because it does not exist)...but the app works! It's as if the reference is resolved at run time. As weird as this is, I would be okay with it but I can't do anything with the data after the Detour (like format a PDF or Table) because no fields pop up in those tools. Is this a known Alteryx bug?

Notice in the illustration, that the first select is okay. It is displaying the full select list of input columns. All the others are empty or the only column, strangely enough, is “ACCOUNT”, but flagged as missing.

I have tired to attach the app but getting error "The attachment's detourapp.yxwz content type (application/octet-stream) does not match its file extension and has been removed." Any recs on that?

Thank you kindly,

Art Casale

14 REPLIES 14
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @artzee1556 

Detour tools are very strict. When a data stream is connected to a Detour side that is not enabled, nothing is passed to those tools, including field metadata. if you enable the detour route to those tools and run the workflow, do they work as expected?

Also, just to mention another nuance to Detour tools, they must be terminated by Detour End tools, or an Output tool. You may have this covered already, but I didn't see the last half of your workflow. 

@artzee1556 wrote:

I have tired to attach the app but getting error "The attachment's detourapp.yxwz content type (application/octet-stream) does not match its file extension and has been removed." Any recs on that?

Analytic App must be exported to a compressed .yxzp format before they are attached on the Community. You can do this with Options > Export Workflow. 

artzee1556
8 - Asteroid

Thanks so much Charlie S for the quick response. The detour tool doesn't doesn't have alot of parameters to set. Right now they are all set to "Detour to Right". Is there an "enable" param I am missing?

artzee1556
8 - Asteroid

Also, how would I compress the app as required so I can attach it? Thanks again.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@artzee1556 wrote:

Thanks so much Charlie S for the quick response. The detour tool doesn't doesn't have alot of parameters to set. Right now they are all set to "Detour to Right". Is there an "enable" param I am missing?

No, you've got it. I just used that term to describe the path where the data is flowing. If "Detour to the Right" is selected, then the "R" output is enabled.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@artzee1556 wrote:

Also, how would I compress the app as required so I can attach it? Thanks again.

Options > Export Workflow.

This feature will also attempt to compress/include any supporting files/assets (aka: workflow dependencies). A checkbox list will be presented to you when you select Export Workflow for you to decide if you want to include any of those assets. Be mindful of data security and/or file size during this process.

artzee1556
8 - Asteroid

Should have known that! The app is now attached.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I see the App now. Help me understand the intent for this App a bit and that'll help me guide the next steps.

Q: Do you intend to allow only one search parameter (Account, Name, Email, etc) at a time so that only records returned from that search are returned?

Q: If Multiple are allowed, do you intend to have multiple Outputs for each search parameter or one that matches all? For Example, you select Email, and Last Name, do you have an Excel workbook with an "Email" sheet with the matches from that search and a separate "Last Name" sheet with those search, Or do you want one set of results that match all the parameters (Last Name AND email).

In the meantime, I'll suggest replacing your Detour tools with Filter tools. Filter tools will work in the same way if you select "Custom Filter" and simply enter values like 0/1 or "True"/"False". it will divert all records to the "T"(1/True) or "F"(0/False) outputs based on that configuration.

artzee1556
8 - Asteroid

Thanks Charlie. This is making me a bit crazy. Spending another day, it seems, trying to get this to work so you help is greatly appreciated.My answers are embedded below.

Q. Do you intend to allow only one search parameter (Account, Name, Email, etc) at a time so that only records returned from that search are returned? Yes, the User is instructed to only select one and then click Finish. Only one search at a time. This probably should have been a radio button app instead of check boxes but not until I figure this issue out!

Q: If Multiple are allowed, do you intend to have multiple Outputs for each search parameter or one that matches all? For Example, you select Email, and Last Name, do you have an Excel workbook with an "Email" sheet with the matches from that search and a separate "Last Name" sheet with those search, Or do you want one set of results that match all the parameters (Last Name AND email). In production, all outputs will be written to the same YXDB file so they can see it displayed at the end of the process. Because they will only be able to execute one search at a time, the same YXDB file name is used for all 4 branches. 

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @artzee1556 

From looking at your workflow, the main purpose of the Interface tools is to filter records.  Once the records are  filtered, it looks like you're applying the same sub-workflow, i.e. you've copied the chunk from the select after the filter to the last formula with "'" + Value + "'" and pasted it after every detourInstead of this process, try something like this

w.png

The UI has a Dropdown with the field names and a Single input box where the user types the value

ui.png

The drop down is configured like this

Name:NAME
Login:LOGIN_ID
Account:ACCOUNT
Email:EMAIL

The value after the ":" is the field name from the Input box

Both UI tools are connected to the filter which has this expression [Name] = "Art".  The Drop Down action replaces the string Name and the Input action replaces Art.  Depending on the user's input the entire filter is changed to become [Name]="Charles" or [Email]="ABC@YAHOO.COM".   This filters the records according to the field and criteria you want.  No need to use detours or duplicate chunks of your workflow.

Dan   

Labels