Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Select Columns based on Formula?

kpmg_lc_analyst
7 - Meteor

I need to automatically select and perform operations on columns where the first record contains certain values.  For example, if you refer to the picture below, I need to automatically select the columns where the first record contains the "/".  Here, that's F2, F3, and F4. Other times, it could be different.  How would I go about doing this? SNIP.jpeg

5 REPLIES 5
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

I would apply a RecordID, Transpose, apply the Formulaic Filter, then CrossTab back and Union to original table using auto-Config by Name and including only a common subset of fields.  An example of this is attached.

Capture.PNG

kpmg_lc_analyst
7 - Meteor

isn't there any easier way to do this? 

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

I can't think of an easier way off the top of my head, however this could probably be turned into a macro in order to simplify it for different usuages, (e.g. just provide the Formula and let the macro handle everything else).

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Along those lines, here is such a macro (attached).  The down-side, is you don't have the Formula-building apparatus for the macro's input textbox, so it will be trial and error getting the formula correct.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@kpmg_lc_analyst Assuming the field names can change (or you would have to add another dynamic rename at the end with the field names you want), a dynamic select and dynamic rename may be a solution for you.

Labels