Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Second drop down in chained app isnt working

bindas45
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I am creating an app and it has 2 levels of dropdown. SO I tried to accomplish this using chained app.

I have tried to explain in the attached workflow, when user selects city then he will be presented with zipcodes to select from.

However the first drop down(cities) is fine but second one(zipcodes) isnt being loaded. I have attached my workflow.

Please advise.

Many thanks!!

4 REPLIES 4
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@bindas45,

The yxzp only contains the workflow for step #1.  I did look at the dropdown for "Enter City" and see duplicate entries (e.g. Denver, Denver, Denver).  What I assume that you want to do in step #2, is read a list of ZIPs that are associated to ONLY Denver (if that's what you selected).

One way to accomplish this is to write out a yxdb file that is read by the interface tool in step #2.

@ResearchRE was doing very much the same thing.  What I didn't tell her, but I am telling you is that this approach has a limitation to 1 user running the application at a time.  If two gallery members start running the application at the same time, one's Denver answer may pollute another's Chicago answer.

I haven't seen workflow #2... so that's all of my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
bindas45
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for you response. But

1. I am doing as you suggested. Writing the filtered all results to a yxdb file and just the zip codes to another yxdb file.

The all results is being used as input in second app and the zip code yxdb for dropdown. The issue is I am able to select zipcode in dropdown in my second app, but my final results are empty. Please advise

2. Is there any workaround for data corruption when 2 members run the report at same time.

Thanks!!!image.png

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@bindas45,

Nice chatting with you today.  Here are some notes on our solution:

1. make sure that the "name/value" pair output (for use in subsequent list box interface tool) only had those fields and that the pairs are unique.
  2. configure the list box to generate quoted custom lists
  3. Update your filter to use an IN operand
  4. Update the action to replace the specific string "XYZ" with the results of your question

All is well!

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
JeanetteF
6 - Meteoroid

@MarqueeCrew wrote:

@bindas45,

The yxzp only contains the workflow for step #1.  I did look at the dropdown for "Enter City" and see duplicate entries (e.g. Denver, Denver, Denver).  What I assume that you want to do in step #2, is read a list of ZIPs that are associated to ONLY Denver (if that's what you selected).

One way to accomplish this is to write out a yxdb file that is read by the interface tool in step #2.

@ResearchRE was doing very much the same thing.  What I didn't tell her, but I am telling you is that this approach has a limitation to 1 user running the application at a time.  If two gallery members start running the application at the same time, one's Denver answer may pollute another's Chicago answer.

I haven't seen workflow #2... so that's all of my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi MarqueeCrew,

Is there a solution to the challenge of two people running the app at the same time. 

We have the same challenge, and believed that using the userID as a part of the name of the first app's output file would help us, however we cannot bypass that either 1) a dropdown tool can't dynamically input a file or the dynamical input tool doesn't read in the data before the flow is run.

So when we have the output from the first app called the user ID and need the headers of this to the dropdown tool of the second app, we encouter the challenge.

We cannot use the External files from the dropdown tool as we basically don't know the name of the file as the userID can be anything.

We cannot use the dynamic input in the second app as is doesn't read in the file and thereby it's headers for the second app. 

Do you have a great idea?

Labels