Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Search used field within workflow and multiple filter usage

kennethli
8 - Asteroid

I have two questions. 

1. I am handling a large set of data which reuqires me to calculate the cost based on certain ratio. The first step I did is to filter out required cost but it makes the workflow looks complicated because it involves a lot of filter tool. Although the performance is acceptable, is there any better method to do the selection? As the raw data is at very granular level, it could be filtered in a lot of dimensions.

Capture.PNG

2. Is it possible to search the used field within the workflow? Say I used "field A" in a formula tool, can I do a search to find out where I used the "field A" for calculation (or other process)?

Thanks so much.

10 REPLIES 10
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

would it be possible to include a sample workflow with some cleansed data?

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

As for 2, it is easy to create an Alteryx module that parses the XML of other Alteryx modules. You could easily use that to search the text of Formula Tools for specific fields.

s_pichaipillai
12 - Quasar

@kennethli

Not sure what are you trying to filter and calculation

if you could share us the sample data structure and workflow or Logic then we can try something

about your second question , you can use the Field Info tool to find the usage of the columns used in the formula 

take a look at the attached

Kenn.PNG

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

It looks like the usual suspects are here to jump to the aid of Kenneth.  Looking at the replies, we've all got different tacts to take on the problem.  I was thinking of RATIOs as a result based upon a single Numerator and many Denominators.  I would calculate "ALL" and identify the denominator as part of the field name.  

just a different take on what may or may not have been the problem at hand.

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
kennethli
8 - Asteroid

I tried to create a sample workflow to illustrate the question. Actually after filtering, each of the category will be appended to another stream of data to do calculation. It tries to separate the reuqired data so they can be appended to different streams of data for calculation. I am wondering if there is another way to do it since it would be quite chaoitic if I need to add new category for filter. Capture.PNG

kennethli
8 - Asteroid

Thanks Michael,

it is a good idea. It would be great if you could also upload the sample yxmd for parsing since I cannot execute smoothly with my own yxmd. I just want to see which field I should parse.

michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I've taken the module that @s_pichaipillai posted and used it as the input for the module I posted. Run the module and check the browse. You will see [Tool Name] and [Configuration]

To find Formula tools, you could filter [Tool Name] == 'Formula' and the [Configuration] field will should the XML of the configuration info.

s_pichaipillai
12 - Quasar

@kennethli

have a question on your 6th Reply

what is your desired output

i see your second Text Input has 580~ rows as duplicate. so the append will create dup rows as well 

is the expected output something like below

Data.PNG

kennethli
8 - Asteroid

Thanks. You are right. The expected output is something similar to your result. What is your approach?

Actually it could be duplicated as they are just some raw data on transaction level which are valid to be duplicated.

Labels