Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Search for a string in any field of dataset

chvizda
8 - Asteroid

Hi all

I have following problems:

1st:

In my csv file dataset I have 10k rows. The rows have a different numbers of fields (colums). 

The first row contains all fields.

Now I need to figure out which of this rows contains a specific string in any of the available fields. 

Per row I have the first field with a unique identifier.

2nd:

I would be perfect to export from these rows the first field (identifier) + the ones with the string + the following field

Do you have any suggestions to problem 1 and/or problem 2 ?

Many thanks

Steffen

5 REPLIES 5
Inactive User
Not applicable

Transpose the records grouping on your unique identifier to have them all in one name and one value column. Now create a filter that says:

Contains([Value],'string')

This will filter for only records that contain your string value. Then finally, cross tab it back to columns (if you wish) and then export as required. Note, when you cross tab it will rename spaces with underscores, you can use a dynamic rename to replace all underscores with spaces.

mborriero
11 - Bolide

The attachment might work for you.

chvizda
8 - Asteroid

perfect Thanks a lot !!

enelson
5 - Atom

Is there a way to set this flow up as a macro for repetitive use? This is essentially the Find tool that I have been looking for from alteryx for a long time and would like to easily use as a macro in multiple workflows. I have tried to take a pass at it but can't seem to get the results to pass through to the end. 

Ywtiof
5 - Atom

How about having a list of key words in a spreadsheet instead of typing every single word in Multi-Row Formula. Have this list input to workflow then Alteryx runs a searching thorough all fields and rows in dataset and give the output with only records + all fields that meet key word being search?? So it's most like spliting intial data set into 2 outputs: one with records and all fields not having key words in any of the fields and rows and second with records and all fields having key words in any of the fields and rows.

Labels