Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Search String for a Substring and return the preceding number value

ChrisB_dup_72
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I have a table in and two of the columns have a lot of text.  I'm trying to get specific information from those columns that might come in different forms.

Here is an example of the text in 1 cell:

AHU-1 (Basement floor) - 4,280 CFM's w/VFD, The 15 HP VFD was added in 2014, 10HP on the return side. heating and cooling coils, ducted distribution, diffusers and plenum return. Poor access to unit.

I need to search for CFM and HP then I need the preceding number values.  There may or may not be a space between the number and the acronym.  

This particular example has two HP values.  In this case I would want the larger number.  So I would like two resulting fields, "CFM"  with a value of 4,280 and "HP" with a value of 15.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @ChrisB_dup_72 

Great challenge here!

First step is replace commas with nothing (I did this with a formula tool. There are many other ways)

Then, we need to separate into columns what you'd like to extract. A RegEx tool, Tokenizing into rows, works really well here. I used the following as my statement: (\d+\s*(?:CFM|HP))

Find a number, which may or may not be followed by a space, then followed by CFM or HP. The ?: is an unmarked group, which is telling alteryx to look for either "CFM" or "HP" as a group of letters

EstherB47_0-1588215648931.png

With the example you gave, that gives 3 rows. Another RegEx tool extracts the number and text into separate columns. You could also use a formula tool and regex_replace to pull the numbers into one column, and the text into another. Just be sure to set the number column as Integer type.

EstherB47_1-1588215680107.png

A summarize tool finds the greatest number per text qualifier. If you'd like that to be in columns, add a Cross Tab tool afterwards.

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers!

Esther

ChrisB_dup_72
7 - Meteor

Hi Ester,

I just got back on this workflow tonight.  You're solution worked out beautifully.  Thank you so much!

I'm new the RegEx tool.  Is there a good source to interpret statements like (\d+\s*(?:CFM|HP))?  I'd like to learn more about that because I'm going to need to use in on datasets similar to the one in this example.

Thanks again,

Chris

Labels