Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Scripts not properly executing in private studio/private gallery

AkisM
10 - Fireball

Hi all,

I have been trying for the past week to find a way to trigger a VB script with Alteryx, which also works as an app. My workflow works as intended locally, but if I upload it and try to run it through my private studio or my company's private gallery, it still runs with no errors, produces an output, but it doesn't seem like any script was run.

Attaching workflow below. You can also see that it works locally but will probably won't work if you try to run it as an app from your private studio. What the script does is it deletes a sheet, and also replaces all formulas from all sheets with their values. Ideal behavior as an app would be for the script to be executed and applied before the user is prompted to download the output excel.

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @AkisM,

do you have visual basic installed on your server? I know some companies don't have it nor have office on them.

You could also change the strategy, have the excel file with the macro as a template and make the workflow do the changes the first time it is opened.

Regards

AkisM
10 - Fireball

Yes I also thought about the macro running on open, but that's my last solution. The ideal one would be if the excel file is ready to go right after downloading it from alteryx.

I never thought we needed visual basic on the server for this to work. But shouldn't the workflow be throwing some kind of error if it tries to run a VBS file and it can't find visual basic?

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @AkisM,

If the cscript faces an error it should as you say return a message informing you about the situation.

Have you tried running the script manually on the gallery server to see what happens?

Regards

AkisM
10 - Fireball

Unfortunately I don't have that level of authorization myself, but I'll check with my IT guys and then update the thread accordingly. Thanks for the ideas.

Labels