Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Scheduling a Workflow with a Powershell Script

kgalbert
9 - Comet

Hello Everyone,

I have a workflow that runs a simple powershell script that moves, renames, and deletes some files at the end of a workflow.  It works without error when I manually run the workflow, but when I schedule it (I have designer with desktop automation) to run at night when the computer is locked, I get an error.  I have attached a screenshot of my Run Command tool and workflow results.

Has anyone come across this before?  It's probably a Powershell problem.

Thanks,
Ken

11 REPLIES 11
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Issues like this are typically related to credentials. The link below shows how you can specify the credentials for Scheduler to use to make sure powershell has the permissions it needs.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/Run-As-Settings/ta-p/17830

kgalbert
9 - Comet

Thanks for the idea! I'll try it tonight

kgalbert
9 - Comet

So I made the change in the advanced settings, but it did not work overnight.

When I came in this morning my computer no longer saw it self as a Controller.  The service was frozen in a 'Stopping' state.  So I changed the service to use my ID as well and rebooted my machine.  The scheduler picked back up and ran the job after that.

Thanks!

aj9
5 - Atom

Hi,

Do you know how to schedule a workflow using powershell.

If so, please let me know.

Thanks,

A**bleep**a

kgalbert
9 - Comet

Hi aj9,

Not sure what you mean.  Do you want Alteryx to run a PowerShell script on a schedule?  This I know how to do.

Or do you want PowerShell to schedule a workflow in Alteryx?  This I don't know how to do.

Thanks,
Ken

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

@aj9 it is not possible to schedule an Alteryx workflow (with any software inc. external scripts) to run without either a scheduler add-on license or a server license.

Ben 

aj9
5 - Atom

Hi,

I want PowerShell to schedule a workflow in Alteryx.
I am not having license for scheduler and hence no access to AlteryxEngineCmd.exe, but I need to schedule alteryx workflow.
Do you know any other method to schedule alteryx workflow?

Thanks

harshal_narkhede
6 - Meteoroid

Hello @BenMoss

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

@aj9 it is against the license agreement to create a schedule without the appropriate add-ons. 

@harshal_narkhede I'm definitely not the best person to ask about that! Is there an issue with scheduling using the standard interface?

Labels