Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Scheduling Workflows to Run in Succession

RonGatmaitan
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I've been tasked to test a trial version of the Alteryx Server to determine if it's worth purchasing.

I've been told that workflows can only run one-at-a-time. Assuming that this is true, does it have to be that schedules will be set at intervals - estimating the time a workflow is set to finish, before scheduling the next?

Example:

Workflow 1 - 1:00 AM - Estimated Time: 1 hour

Workflow 2 - 2:00 AM - Estimated Time: 30 minutes

Workflow 3 - 2:30 AM - Estimated Time: 1 hour

Is there another way to do this? Can I "schedule" workflows to run at the same time and let Alteryx just run them in succession?

Example:

Workflow 1 - 1:00 AM - Estimated Time: 1 hour

Workflow 2 - 1:00 AM - Estimated Time: 30 minutes

Workflow 3 - 1:00 AM - Estimated Time: 1 hour

8 REPLIES 8
gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Hi @RonGatmaitan, if your Alteryx Server was set to not have cuncurrent jobs, your first example will work, one job will not start until the last one has finished. However, if you want to trigger a job as soon as the last one has finished, it is not possible to do this by default.

There is a way of achieving this, but it requires the installation of aditional macros (Crew macros) both on the Designer and the Server machines. On this case you have a workflow that will orchestrate the run of those other workflows. However, this is not officially supported by Alteryx (article).

Finally, there is another way of doing this using APIs. This article helps you doing that (link).

RonGatmaitan
8 - Asteroid

Hi @gabrielvilella,

Thanks for the reply. I don't think we have the additional crew macros, that's why I was told to run it one after the other.

Now my concern is, what if the second workflow's time occurs while the first one's is still running? What will happen then? The problem is, those times are just "estimates". I have no control as to what time they actually finish.

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

If your Alteryx Server was set to not have cuncurrent jobs, one job will not start until the last one has finished.

RonGatmaitan
8 - Asteroid

Hi @gabrielvilella,

So can I just schedule them all at the same time and just let Alteryx run them one after the other?

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

If you have one workflow that requires another one to have finished first, I'd recommed to schedule for a minute later than the first one, for example. 

RonGatmaitan
8 - Asteroid

What if they're independent of each other? Is it okay to set them all at the same time and let Alteryx sort it out?

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Yes.

RonGatmaitan
8 - Asteroid

Thank you, @gabrielvilella!

Setting your answer as the accepted solution. 🙂

Labels